Board Congratulates Police Excellence Award Winners
The winners of the 55th annual Police Excellence Award were announced during a special ceremony on Wednesday May 25 at Hotel X in Toronto.
This prestigious awards ceremony recognizes the following awards:
- Police Officer Excellence Awards, including the Police Officer(s) of the Year Award
- Business Excellence Award
- Civilian Excellence Award
This event’s focus was to recognize and pay tribute to the devoted, brave and compassionate Members of the Toronto Police Service, who are committed, every day, to making Toronto one of the safest and most liveable cities in the world.
A group of 23 Division officers - Sgt. Brian James and Consts. Ramandeep Singh, Kwabena Saffu, Deanna Jovanovich and Nicholas Ditlof - who rescued a young child from falling from a three-storey window, were honoured with the Police Officer(s) of the Year Award. These dedicated officers worked as a cohesive, effective and compassionate team, and through their extraordinary actions, were able to make a very volatile situation safe, and bring comfort to those involved.
The Police Excellence Awards were created by the Board of Trade in 1967 as the Police Officer of the Year Awards, with the purpose of recognizing officers of the Toronto Police Service who have made significant contributions to making Toronto one of the safest cities in the world.
The awards have evolved over time, and have since been expanded to include the Service’s civilian Members as well. Winners are selected by a panel of judges which include media representatives, members of the community, and students, using the following criteria: bravery, humanitarianism, superior investigative work and outstanding police skills.
The complete list of winners of this year’s Police Excellence Awards are:
- Sgt. Brian James, PC Nicolas Ditlof, PC Deanna Jovanovich, PC Kwabena Saffu, and PC Ramandeep Singh
- Sgt. Timothy Whittle, PC Jean Bresse, PC Corey Dunk, PC Matthew Palma and PC Michael Sanguinetti
- PC Marek Mostowski and PC Marland Thompson
- PC Ivan Yeung
- Sgt. Josh Mc Sweeney, PC Jan-Michael Kruczek and PC Kevin Stevenson
- PC Rudy Kramer, PC Aaron Broad and PC Danny Pitre
- PC Edward O’Toole, PC Chad Pullen and PC Matthew Saris
- DC Zachary Firth
- Sgt. Duane St Jean, PC Deanna Jovanovich, PC Satbir Kullar and PC Michael Phaneuf
- PC Daniel Kooy
This year’s winners of the Civilian Excellence Award are:
- Court Officer Harrison Marshall
- Court Officer Paul Hawke
This year’s winners of the Business Excellence Award are:
- Mark Jones, Analytics and Innovation
- Scott Mackey, Analytics and Innovation
- Katherine Ziebarth, Analytics and Innovation
- Detective Constable Jason Reynolds, Sex Crimes
All of the winners’ stories can be found here: https://tpsb.ca/police-excellence-awards
Chair Jim Hart noted that our Members are “out there, on our streets, and working behind the scenes, each and every day, making our city safer, kinder and better. I know that you face great danger with selfless courage, and deal with countless situations of chaos, sadness and risk with your trademark professionalism, care and dedication.” To Toronto Police Service Members, he stated:, “You are not just saving lives, you are changing lives. You are reminding people daily that policing is not simply enforcement – it is serving and protecting all members of our communities in a way that is professional, innovative, strategic, compassionate, kind, proactive and equitable.”
For more information about the Police Excellence Awards, go to: https://www.policeawards.ca/
Contact: Sandy Murray
You received this email because you subscribed to this mailing list on the TPSB website. Click here to Unsubscribe