XXVII ER-010 – Canine Unit
Police Services Act, R.S.O. 1990, c.P.15, as amended, s. 31(1)(c).
Adequacy and Effectiveness of Police Services, O. Reg. 3/99.
Occupational Health and Safety Act Diving Operations Regulation 629/94.
It is the policy of the Board that:
- The Service will provide the services of a canine unit by using its own members;
- The services will be available 24 hours a day and within a reasonable response time;
- The Chief of Police will:
- establish procedures that set out the circumstances in which the services of the canine team will be deployed, including the process for obtaining the services and reporting relationships;
- establish procedures for the deployment of other emergency response services, including assistance from other agencies;
- develop and maintain a manual on canine services that is available to each member providing this service;
- ensure that members performing the functions of a canine team and/or unit have the knowledge, skills and abilities to provide the canine functions assigned;
- ensure the ongoing training of members who provide this service; and
- ensure that the appropriate equipment, consistent with the Ministry’s recommended equipment list, is used/available to the members who provide this service.