XII AI-010 – Uniforms, Working Attire and Equipment
Police Services Act, R.S.O. 1990, c.P.15, as amended, s. 31(1)(c).
General, O. Reg 268/10.
Adequacy & Effectiveness of Police Services, O. Reg. 3/99, s. 35.
It is the policy of the Toronto Police Services Board that:
- The Chief of Police will develop procedures on the provision and use of standardized uniforms by the Toronto Police Service’s uniformed police officers and civilian members;
Care and Control
- All articles of uniform and equipment necessary for the performance of duty will be provided by and remain the property of the Board;
- The Chief of Police will develop procedures for the management, care, control and storage of uniforms, clothing, property and equipment;
Working Attire and Dress
- The Chief of Police will establish a working attire that is professional and business-like for all Service members requiring uniforms, including volunteers;
- The Chief of Police will determine the uniform of the day and standardized dress codes. The dress code will accommodate individuals and/or groups of individuals as may be required by the Ontario Human Rights Code or any other legal requirement; and
- The Chief of Police will consult with the Board prior to making any changes to the uniform, working attire or equipment of such significance or import as to alter the appearance of the uniform, working attire or equipment as it will be observed by members of Toronto’s communities.