As agreed to by the Toronto Police Services Board (TPSB), the Toronto Police Service (TPS), and the Toronto Police Association (TPA)
Thursday, August 10, 2017:
The TPSB, TPS and the TPA are aligned on the mission of community safety and the modernization objectives as articulated in “The Way Forward” report, and committed to an engagement and implementation process that is collaborative.
Discussions during a recently held series of meetings resulted in an approach that addresses business continuity during the transition to modernization. This plan, supported by evidence and data, continues to place public safety and the health and well-being of our members as our primary focus.
Additionally, we agreed upon the following:
• Due to the fact that attrition has run slightly ahead of the Task Force’s assumptions, 80 new uniform Police Constables will be recruited in 2017. The new
Human Resources modernization plan will focus on hiring to support community centric policing and diversity;
• A review of the current establishment of Communications Operators to ensure adequate staffing levels to support public safety;
• A review of divisional staffing levels to ensure that acceptable staffing levels are being met and, subject to the collective agreement, make overtime available to divisions when there is a shortfall;
• A review of all uniform and civilian supervisory acting assignments, and confirming members in the rank where roles are deemed “operationally critical”;
• A review of the uniform staffing levels, using evidence and data based support to validate the proposed future establishment number of 4,750 uniform
• Continued collaboration on the Compressed Work Week Schedule, as negotiated in the last round of collective bargaining, to achieve a more effective scheduling and deployment model.
We realize that the path to modernization is not a straight line. We wish to thank our dedicated members who are committed to making a difference in the lives of the people in this city. We would also like to thank the people of Toronto for your ongoing support and feedback.